Sunday, January 8, 2012

Top 5 Movies of 2011

I love lists. And I think you do too. Here is a list of my favorite movies that I saw in 2011!!!

Honorable MentionTree of Life

I don't really know how to describe this movie, all I can say is that I think I liked it. Haha. Sean Penn plays Brad Pitts grown up son in this movie about the loss of innocence, and what it means to be alive. This movie takes us on a journey to explore life and faith. (What makes me crazy sad is that Heath Ledger was supposed to play Brad Pitt's character, but alas, Heath will have to forever remain in my heart.) This is not a movie for the faint of heart, in fact, some American theaters set up signs warning moviegoers about the enigmatic and non-linear narrative of the movie - following some confused walkouts and refund demands in the opening weeks.

5. Harry Potter 7.2

Ahh...beautiful Ron. I couldn't call myself a true Harry Potter fan if I didn't put this movie on here. Not to mention the fact that I saw it 3 times within the first 24 hours it was in theaters. I cried every time. I haven't seen it since, but it still holds a very special place in my heart :) Fun fact, on Christmas day, my family was welcomed to the Christmas tree by Ron Weasley wearing a Santa hat. Unfortunately, it was a cardboard cut out of Ron Weasley, but it was hilarious just the same.

 4. The Muppets

I love musicals, I love the Muppets, and I love Jason Segel. Blend these three amazing things, and how could I not love this movie? It was witty, fun, hilarious (even my dad laughed!!!!) and touching. There is a line that says something to the effect of "You just need one person to love you," and I love that. I am usually not a fan of Miss Piggy, but she was super hot in this movie. Amy Adams was just blah for me, I wish they had cast someone that could at least pretend to want to be in the movie. She completely fell flat on screen, and didn't fit with the Muppets groove. I already posted my favorite song from the movie in my last post, and I would be lying if I said I didn't listen to that song at least 10 times a day.

3. Nowhere Boy (2009)

Telling the story of an adolescent John Lennon, this is the kind of movie that could go on for 12 hours, and it would still be intriguing. It is rated R, for a very short scene toward the beginning of the movie (I was prewarned, so I was able to skip it, and I'm sure a ClearPlay player would edit out), and for language. Honestly, I wish this movie was not rated R, because it is beautiful, and really worth seeing. It is a must for any Beatles fan, and for people who aren't particularly in love with John. This is the kind of movie where you root for every character, yet none of them at the same time. I love movies (and books) that show people's grey areas, and this is definitely one of them. The actor playing John is also in Kick A**, and Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging, both of which are amazing movies.

2. The Artist

SO GOOD. In this black and white, mostly-silent movie, a popular silent film actor struggles with the introduction of "talkies." I had no idea what this movie was about, but I knew that I wanted to see it. These actors were incredible, having so little to work with as far as words are concerned, they were able to convey everything through their actions and their faces. I wish more actors were required to actually be able to act before we pay them millions of dollars to star in movies (I'm looking at Ginny Weasley and Kate Hudson here). It wasn't just the acting that made the movie so good though, it showcased the destruction and reconstruction of a man, and how our fears can get in the way of great things happening. Also, there is an adorable dog who is completely lovable and loyal, proving that we all need at least one person on our side, even if that person is a dog.

The Best Movie I Saw in 2011: Midnight in Paris

I'm talking to all of you literature nerds, you will love this movie. You won't just love this movie, you will worship this movie. If you haven't seen it already, see it this very hour. When I saw it, I had no idea what I was getting in to (which is how I prefer to experience things), and I was majorly geeking out in the theater. Owen Wilson and Rachel McAdams (both are stellar here) are an engaged couple on a holiday in Paris. Owen is a true romantic English-nerd, whereas Rachel is a status-obsessed girl from Southern California. Owen is infatuated with the Paris of the 1920s (what kind of English-nerd isn't?) and wishes he could go back to the golden age of Paris, when it was filled with Hemingway, Stein, Picasso and the Fitzgeralds. This film by Woody Allen made me want to pack up all of my things and go pursue my dreams. To say the very least, I may love this movie more than I love Beyonce.

2 comments:

  1. Good heavens, I LOVED Midnight in Paris. I know the whole message was don't be nostalgic, but it made my heart ache for the twenties. And The Artist delighted me in ways I didn't even know were possible. I want to be as adorable as Peppy.

    Finally, I have to see Nowhere Boy. I'm ashamed of myself for not knowing about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tree of Life and The Artist and the Muppets are definitely on my list!! Why do you have the best taste??

    ReplyDelete