Friday, August 20, 2010

Liminal Spaces


I love synthesis, amalgamation, the yin-yang, basically anything that has two contrasting ideas and plays them against each other to create something profound and better than the two existing halves on their own.

What I do NOT like however, is liminal spaces. The no mans land between ideas, places, thoughts, etc. There is no synthesis in liminal spaces, it physically cannot be. Being on the threshold nothing is real anymore. (At least thats how it feels to me). Grooms typically carry their bride through the first threshold because it is a myth that devils hang out in doorways. I definitely agree that devils stay in liminal spaces. Hit you while you're alone and trapped kind of a deal. I feel like for SO long I have been in this liminal space, I'm a post-grad living in an undergrad world, I know what I want to do with my life but have made no recordable progress made to achieving my goals, I have lost two of my roommates and now am waiting for the others to get here, I have a job, but am anxiously awaiting other and better opportunities. I used to love liminal spaces, I thought they were the in-between area before you move on to a world of possibilities. But now I feel like Winnie the Pooh, half way in Rabbits house and half way in the outside world - completely and utterly stuck.


Look at his face, clearly liminal spaces are not a fun place to stay.

Once I called liminal spaces "scary and exciting". But now I have lost all of my excitement and fear has taken over completely. I feel exactly like this: "One's sense of identity dissolves to some extent, bringing about disorientation." Thank you wikipedia for that.

Lastly, I do LOVE thinking, writing, and reading about liminal spaces, as long as I do not have to face my own. :)

4 comments:

  1. Fight! Fight through it! Brandon has a cousin that hasn't yet, and has spent the last year of her post-graduate life living at home and working her high school job. FIGHT!!! Face the fear and uncertainty and keep moving forward! (like Meet the Robinsons Style ;)) And come and chat with me - I miss seeing you and hearing your crazy stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :( You're my sister and you're awesome! Nothing liminal about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this entry D. I love that you have so eloquently put into words the thoughts and feelings that we all feel so often in life. It's nice to know we're not alone.

    ReplyDelete