Thursday, January 21, 2010

Oldies but Goodies


I love used books. The reasons are obvious, you get to see what others highlighted or underlined, oft times you get some old notes, or long forgotten receipts. But if you're really lucky you get to read their marginal writing (writing in the margins, not writing that is marginal). I buy most of my school books on Amazon, thus I have encountered some good stuff. I recently bought a book called "We: Understanding the Psychology of Romantic Love" for my Literature and Film class, which first of all, is a fantastic book, and just a little bit of a prelude for what it contains, it is listed as a self-help book. Now for the fun part. In the front cover it says:

"To my fair son, Owen, in his fourtieth year ~ so the wisdom of 'true love' shall be his.
January, 2000
with much 'true love', Mom" (there is a flourish after "Mom")

I wish I knew these people, I want to know what happened to Owen to cause his mom to give him this. Was he divorced? Unlucky in love? Or was his mom just crazy? Now that Owen is 50, (and never read this book by the looks of it) where is he? Did his mom ever ask how he liked this book, only to have him awkwardly lie?

A few summers ago I found a book at home which belonged to a "Glen N. Petersen" Which is funny, if you consider my last name is Glenn, and my best friend's last name is Petersen.

Now I have my moms old copy of Jane Eyre, "Donna Lallatin" is in the front cover, and it is astonishing how little her handwriting has changed in over 30 years. And also sad, because I was hoping my handwriting would mature as I did. Not likely I guess.

After reading "The Crying of Lot 49", in which the main character sees the recurring symbol of the Trystero --

I bought a used book with the Trystero symbol in the front cover. Needless to say, I was shocked and delighted. Now I resolve to draw the Trystero in every book I sell.

Anyways, I just love having glimpses into other people's lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment